Don’t forget to register for band or orchestra for the
2017-2018 school year!
FAQs about the Instrumental Music Program
- What instruments can my student play?
- Band: flute, clarinet, alto saxophone, trumpet, trombone, baritone, and percussion
- Orchestra: violin, viola, cello, and string bass
- Where can I rent an instrument?
- We have many instruments available to rent from the county. The fee for the year is $100; $50 for students on reduced lunch; $25 for students on free lunch. Preference for school rentals for free and reduced lunch students.
- Percussion students are expected to purchase their own sticks and practice pads for practicing at home.
- You may also go to a local music store (Foxes Music, Music and Arts, or Chuck Levins) and rent instruments.
- I do NOT recommend purchasing an instrument for a 4th or 5th grade student since most music stores have rent-to-own programs. Instruments from retail stores (not music stores) are often not as good a deal as they seem – many instruments break quickly and parts are very rare or very expensive.
- How are lessons scheduled?
- Students should register before mid-September.
- Once students are registered I will place them into small groups with similar instruments.
- Lessons will meet once a week for 35 minutes.
- Lessons are scheduled during the school day, but I do my very best to not pull students out of classes like math, science, or writing.
- Are there any performances?
- Yes! We have 2 concerts each year. The spring concert has two performances – one during the school day and one in the evening.
- Evening concerts will start at 7 pm. Students should arrive at 6:30.
- We have a concert dress at Glebe of black shoes, black pants/skirt, and a white top. However, students are NOT graded on what they wear, just on their ability to come and play to the best of their ability!
- Any other questions?
- Feel free to email me!
Other Local Band and Orchestra Websites to check out:
Swanson Middle School
Williamsburg Middle School electives, Williamsburg Middle School Band
H-B Woodlawn Music, H-B Woodlawn Band (Facebook page)
Washington-Lee High School
Yorktown High School: Music and Band