Arlington Public Schools students are invited to take part in the annual “Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Literary and Visual Contest.”
Entries are due by 5 p.m. Thu, Dec. 16.
This Year’s Topic:
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. led the struggle for equal economic, political, and social opportunities for all – a struggle that continues today. During Dr. King’s March on Washington in 1963, activists, athletes, scholars, families and people of many different races and backgrounds came together to advocate for equality in their communities. His legacy lives on today and inspires many individuals to carry out his dream and make a difference in their communities.
Incorporating a quote from Dr. King, describe in writing or through visual arts how you, as a student, can get involved, take a stand, and support Dr. King’s mission and vision for equality; and/or inspire a more equitable, inclusive, and peaceful Virginia.
- You must be a resident of Arlington County or enrolled in APS.
You must be in grade Kindergarten through 12.
Two awards will be given in each group:
- Grades K, 1 and 2
- Grades 3, 4, 5
- Grades 6, 7, 8
- Grades 9, 10, 11, 12
Each group will have two first place winners and two runners up in each category: Literary Arts Achievement (Writing or Poetry) and Visual Arts Achievement Winners will be announced on Fri, Jan. 7, 2022. Students will be recognized by the Superintendent and members of the School Board on Tue, Jan. 18 at the beginning of the School Board meeting.
- Email your entry to email@example.com; include this form, and the essay or poem as an attachment. OR
- Drop off your entry with this form attached at one of the following APS locations.
- APS Syphax Building, Welcome Center–1st Floor, 2210 Washington Blvd., 703-228-2581
- Jefferson Community Center, 3501 S. 2nd St., 703-228-5920
- Barcroft Sports and Fitness Center, 4200 S. Four Mile Run, 703-228-0701
- Langston-Brown Community Center, 2121 N. Culpeper St., 703-228-5210
- Gunston Community Center, 2700 S. Lang Street, 703-228-6980
- Walter Reed Community Center, 2909 S. 16th Street, 703-228-0935
For more information
Please contact Dawn Smith, Communications Coordinator, at 703-228-2581 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
The entry form and prompt can be found at this link: https://glebe.apsva.us/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2021/11/MLK-Entry-form.pdf